Slide

Monday, February 22, 2010

The one I know about-The state of Native Americans in the twenty-first century

I like what I saw in Tony's slide because I thought it was very well thought out. Both he and I addressed the economic position of the Native Americans. I think this is because the problem with Native American poverty is the main cause of many hardships among the Native Americans. It is the greatest problem among them this day and their houses and unemployment rate shows it. Then there were different quotes from different people showing some opinion. The one that stood out to me was, "We've got the 'first Americans' living in third world conditions..." - Senator Bryon L. Dorgan. This is very true. It doesn't feel right to have Native Americans; the people native to this great country, to be living in the worst conditions of us all. I thought this selection of quotes really helped me to better my understanding the conditions of the Native Americans. What I thought was really interesting was that we used the same youtube videos to portray our different thoughts. I used my video as an example showing the poor lifestyle of a Native American, while Tony used his to explain the suicide rates. I think they are both very important subjects concerning the current Native American status. I talked more about addictions and alcoholism, which I can see how these things are related. Tony also brought up the subject of stereo types which I did not. I agree with him when he says it is a common thing to happen to this group of people. I have seen many movies in which the exaggerated old style Native American beliefs are used. Time has changed and Native Americans have change along with it. There was an excellent piece of evidence showing racism and stereotypes in current day America; the case of the U of I mascot. The mascot mocks ancient Indian culture and the billboard sign shown a racist remark directly attacking Native Americans as a race. Then he sums it up with saying that we need to come together as one people and help each other because much hatred has grown between the whites and Native Americans because of the past mistreatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment